California Litigation Attorneys Protect Business Interests
Palm Springs lawyers serving companies in the area since 1951
Businesses often have contentious dealings with government entities, employees, contractors and other parties. Effective legal representation in these disputes requires an in-depth understanding of the industry involved and the governing laws and regulation. At Schlecht, Shevlin & Shoenberger in Palm Springs, California, our seasoned lawyers apply their 170 years of collective experience to successful resolution of business disputes of all types and levels of complexity.
Representing litigation clients across a range of practice areas
Lawsuits can result from disputes in all facets of business activity. Our depth of experience allows us to handle litigation in such areas as:
- Breach of contract — We are skilled at representing both sides in resolving contractual disputes with respect to such issues as missed deadlines, violation of terms and failure to deliver or pay for a product or service. Some breaches are so material that the entire agreement is disrupted.
- Business torts — We represent companies in lawsuits alleging such wrongful acts as fraudulent misrepresentation, tortious interference, restraint of trade, commercial disparagement and unfair competition.
- Business transactions — Lawsuits over business transactions such as bulk sales, mergers and acquisitions can arise under state or federal law and regulations.
- Construction — Disputes in construction matters can center on contractual terms, financing, liens, workmanship, product quality and payments.
- Corporations — Battles among a corporation’s leaders, board of directors, or others in positions of power can bring breach of fiduciary duty or bad faith claims to the company.
- Insurance — We represent parties involved in first-party claims, when an insurance company refuses to pay benefits on a claim submitted by a policyholder, and third-party claims, when an insurer either fails to defend a suit or fails to pay on a claim.
- Intellectual property — We assist businesses in protecting their intellectual property rights, including patents, trademarks, copyrights and trade secrets. We also represent people charged with having infringed on property rights.
- Lending and finance — We are experienced representing both sides in lawsuits alleging improper lending practices by banks and other financial institutions.
- Securities — Any business subject to the securities laws runs the risk of violation due to their complexity and strict enforcement by the federal government.
- UCC matters — Litigation often arises over sales, leases, negotiable instruments, bank deposits, fund transfers and other transactions under the Uniform Commercial Code (UCC), which provides for recovery of a range of damages.
In all of these areas, we pursue litigation strategies, as well as alternative dispute resolution options, that address our clients’ individualized concerns and that are calculated to bring about optimal results.
Providing employment litigation and counseling services
Employers are subject to a complex array of federal and state laws and regulations. We represent businesses facing liability for alleged legal and contractual violations in these areas:
- Employment agreements — Litigation can arise over non-compete clauses and other provisions of employment agreements that limit an employee’s ability to leave the job.
- Employment discrimination — Federal and state laws can impose penalties when employees are subjected to discriminatory treatment based on race, gender or other personal characteristics.
- Wage and hour — Employers can be penalized for failure to comply with wage and hour We explain the laws to you so you do not put your business at risk.
- Wrongful termination — Exceptions to the employment-at-will doctrine can easily trip up an employer, leading to a wrongful termination suit if an employee is fired without cause.
We also provide advice and instructive counseling on best practices for effective compliance.
Contact Schlecht, Shevlin & Shoenberger to take legal action to protect your business
Since 1951, the experienced legal team at Schlecht, Shevlin & Shoenberger in Palm Springs has aggressively represented the interests of businesses throughout the Coachella Valley and Riverside County area. Call us at 760-320-7161 or contact us online to schedule a confidential consultation with one of our skilled business litigation attorneys.